Current English News
- August 27th M.H. Abrams Memorial Celebration
A memorial celebration for M.H. Abrams will be held at 2pm on Saturday, September 12th in Statler Auditorium, Statler Hall. All are welcome to attend.
- August 26th New Novel Highlights Exile
Cornell Chronicle highlights Mrs. Shaw, a new novel by Assistant Professor Mukoma Wa Ngugi.
- August 4th The Lamp Goes Dark
Cornell Alumni Magazine showcases a tribute to M. H. Abrams by Paul Cody, MFA ’87.
- August 3rd Loss and Mourning Fosters Poetry
Cornell Chronicle speaks with Associate Professor Dagmawi Woubshet about research for his recent book The Calendar of Loss: Race, Sexuality, and Mourning in the Early Era of AIDS.
- June 22nd Literature in the Family
Assistant Professor Mukoma Wa Ngugi celebrates the accomplishments of his father Ngugi wa Thiong'o and presents his book Nairobi Heat to the president of Kenya.
- June 9th Awards Honor Faculty and Graduate Students
Professor Juffer receives academic advising award, associate professor Raskolnikov receives teaching award, and PhD candidate Danielle Morgan wins teaching assistant prize.
- June 3rd Marianne Marsh Recognized with Excellence Award
Cornell’s Employee Recognition Team awarded a 2015 Management Award to Marianne Marsh, Administrative Director for the Department of English.
- May 29th Department of English Honors Graduates at Diploma Ceremony
Sixty-eight degree candidates honored during the 2015 English Department Diploma Ceremony at Statler Auditorium.
- May 27th Mukoma Wa Ngugi Selected as Neustadt Prize Juror
One of nine jurors selected for this prestigious international award, Assistant Professor, Mukoma Wa Ngugi will provide his perspective from both the US and Kenya.
- May 27th Helena Viramontes Introduces Anthology
Professor Helena Viramontes provides foreword for All About Skin: Short Fiction by Women of Color.
- May 18th Jonathan Culler Highlights Cornell Accomplishments
To celebrate Charter Day, Professor Jonathan Culler reflects on 50 years worth of Cornell accomplishments that transformed the humanities, as part of panel discussion.
- May 15th Jeremy Braddock Presents on The Firesign Theatre
Cornell Chronicle on Jeremy Braddock’s paper "The Firesign Theatre’s Wax Poetics.” Braddock serves as Associate Professor and Director of Graduate Studies.
- May 6th Lyrae Van Clief-Stefanon Revists the Great Migration
Associate Professor Van Clief-Stefanon responds to a Lawrence painting as part of PBS NewsHour's “Revisiting the Great Migration through paintings and poetry.”
- April 23rd Remembering M.H. Abrams
Influential literary critic and Cornell English professor, M.H. "Mike" Abrams passes away at 102. Cornell Chronicle highlights his lifetime achievements.
- April 15th Phyllis Janowitz memorial gathering on campus
A gathering to remember and celebrate the life and work of Phyllis Janowitz will take place Friday, April 17, at 11:30 a.m.
- April 1st Darkness and light in Fulton's new poetry collection
Cornell Chronicle talks with Professor Alice Fulton about her new collection of poetry Barely Composed.
- March 31st Students gain novel insights from faculty reading
Daily Sun article features readings by professors J. Robert Lennon and Valzhyna Mort.
- February 12th Ella Diaz wins Woodrow Wilson Fellowship
Assistant Professor Diaz has won a Woodrow Wilson Foundation Career Enhancement Fellowship. She teaches in both the English department and Latino Studies.
- January 16th Morgan adds to his literary awards
Professor of English and best-selling author Robert Morgan wins awards for two of his latest works.