Current English News
- November 27th Mukoma Ngugi one of 100 most influential Africans
Assistant Professor Ngugi has been named by New African Magazine as one of the most influential Africans.
- November 7th English professor gets high marks
Business Insider ranks Dagmawi Woubshet as one of the top 10 professors at Cornell.
- November 6th What can be done with an English degree?
Professor Dan Schwarz answers that question on the Huffington Post.
- November 1st Lamar Herrin's new novel released Nov. 12
Lamar Herrin weaves the controversial issue of hydrofracking into his latest novel about a family in the midst of change.
- October 22nd Ishion Hutchinson wins Whiting Award
Assistant Professor Ishion Hutchinson has won a Whiting Writers Award, for his "exceptional talent and promise in early career."
- October 8th Mukoma Wa Ngugi analyzes Kenyan attack
Assistant Professor Mukoma Wa Ngugi's piece in The Guardian discusses al Shabaab's attack at a Kenyan mall.
- September 24th Braddock's Book Wins MSA Prize
The Modernist Studies Association has awarded its annual book prize to Associate Professor Jeremy Braddock's Collecting As Modernist Practice.
- September 13th CU English Remembers Seamus Heaney
Department members will gather on 9/17 at 4:30 in GS 258 to remember Irish poet Seamus Heaney. A video of his reading from last fall will be shown.
- September 6th Program celebrates 25 years, with Crawford as Director
The Mellon Mays Program aims to increase the number of faculty members from underrepresented groups. It's in its 25th year, directed by Assoc. Professor Margo Crawford.
- September 5th Lurie talks about writing on youtube
Cornell Professor Emerita and Pulitzer Prizewinner Alison Lurie discusses her interests, inspirations, and love of writing in this video.
- August 25th Tom Hill to present lecture on August 28
Professor Tom Hill will present the William H. and Jane Torrence Harder Lecture Aug. 28 at 5:30 p.m. in Call Auditorium, Kennedy Hall.
- August 15th New Students Take Note
Prospective English Majors and new students alike may do well to review Professor Dan Schwarz's Fourteen Suggestions for Incoming Freshmen.
- August 6th Mukoma Wa Ngugi publishes "Black Star Nairobi"
Black Star Nairobi, a sequel to Assistant Professor Mukoma Wa Ngugi's crime novel Nairobi Heat has been published by Melville House.
- July 19th Writing and Robots
On April 25, CU MFAs read pieces inspired by artificial intelligence technologies. They received guidance from CU computer sci grads Igor Labutov and Jason Yosinski.
- June 5th Epoch Magazine launches new website
A new website for Epoch is now live. It includes details about the current issue, as well as info about submissions, subscriptions, and availability of back issues.
- May 22nd English Professor wins Life Raft Debate
Students vote to save Prof. George Hutchinson over faculty from three other disciplines. Click on the headline to read the winning speech.
- May 16th Two graduating English majors featured on Arts & Sciences site
Micah Del Rosario and Adam Lerner share their Cornell experiences. [Type "english" in the filter to pull up their stories.]
- May 13th New graduate award in poetry scholarship memorializes Alan Young-Bryant
PhD candidate Jane Kim is the award's first recipient.
- April 10th MFA poet Sally Wen Mao wins Kinereth Gensler Award
Sally Wen Mao, a recent MFA in poetry, has won the award from Alice James Books for her manuscript Mad Honey Symposium, which will be published Spring 2014.
- March 29th Exhibit co-curated by Ella Diaz opens in Sacramento
Diaz will present a lecture on the exhibit, which features the work of the Royal Chicano Air Force art collective.
- March 27th Cornell alumni contribute to department newsletter
In addition to faculty news, English majors Jane Smiley Hart '42 and Frank D. Wagner '67 share their tales in the latest issue.
- March 8th English major wins Cornell Council for the Arts award
Andrew Borgya '13 is named Undergratuate Artist of the Year for his fiction.
- February 26th M.H. Abrams Distinguished Visiting Professor To Present Lecture
Professor Lawrence Lipking (Cornell Ph.D. '62) will present "Les Mots et Les Oiseaux or Words and Birds"
- February 14th Spring reading series opens with Ishion Hutchinson
On Feb. 14, the Barbara & David Zalaznick Spring 2013 Reading Series begins with new faculty poet Ishion Hutchinson.
- January 14th Memorial Service for Jake Adam York
University of Colorado, Denver, will host a memorial for Jake York (Cornell MFA '97, PhD '00) on January 30.
- January 9th Memorial Service for Alan Young-Bryant
The service takes place on Sunday, Jan. 13.