Current English News
- November 10th New book by Lennon just released
J. Robert Lennon"s new collection of stories, See You in Paradise, exhibits the best of his tragicomic style.
- September 23rd Conference celebrates Jonathan Culler
Former students gathered on October 3rd and 4th to celebrate Jonathan Culler and "Literary Theory at Cornell."
- September 15th Alison Lurie interviewed about new book
Ithaca Times writer Luke Fenchel recently interviewed Alison Lurie about her new book, The Language of Houses.
- August 27th Poet and Professor Emerita Janowitz died August 17
Colleagues are fondly remembering Phyllis Janowitz, who died on August 17. Professor Janowitz had taught Creative Writing at Cornell since 1980 until her retirement in 2009.
- August 26th Geoff Harpham this year's Abrams Professor
Geoffrey Harpham, director of the National Humanities Center, will teach two seminars. He is visiting this semester as the M.H. Abrams Distinguished Visiting Professor.
- August 18th Fall 2014 Reading Series Announced
The Cornell Dept. of English Program in Creative Writing's Fall 2014 Zalaznick Reading Series to Include Readings by Luis Urrea and Kwame Dawes (photo The Tuesday Agency).
- July 29th Obama presents medal to M.H. Abrams
Professor Abrams was honored in Washington on 7.28.14 for "broadening the study of literature" and "influencing and inspiring generations of students." (Photo J. Augustino, NEH)
- July 23rd M. H. Abrams wins National Humanities Medal
On the eve of Prof. Abrams' 102nd birthday it was announced that he's been named a recipient of a 2013 National Humanities Medal. He will be honored by President Obama on July 28.
- June 2nd Department of English honors new graduates
Seventy-seven graduates are celebrated during the 2014 commencement ceremony at Statler Auditorium.
- May 22nd Jenny Mann is among the many winners of 2014 college awards
Jenny Mann has won an Appel Fellowship, and many English students are among the winners of the 2014 student and faculty awards in the College of Arts & Sciences.
- April 23rd Mary Pat Brady describes the making of the Heath Anthology
The department's newsletter features a piece by Prof Brady as she discusses the transformation of American literature and the Heath Anthology.
- April 16th Mukoma Wa Ngugi's Library of Congress Reading posted on YouTube
Professor Ngugi read from his work and discussed the state of contemporary African literature, highlighting African languages and culture.
- April 10th PhD student wins national award
Adin Lears receives a 2014 Woodrow Wilson fellowship for her dissertation.
- February 17th A fascinating memoir of Anita Reynolds edited by George Hutchinson
A memoir of a woman untethered by race, who was a contemporary of Nella Larsen, has recently been published and was edited by George Hutchinson.
- January 30th Jenny Mann's Utopia course subject of blog
In her class "Utopia: From Thomas More to Science Fiction" Jenny Mann attempts to render uncomfortable the distinction between the real and the not-real.
- January 24th Cynthia Hogue Welcomed as Visiting Professor
Award-winning poet & translator Hogue joins the faculty for spring term as Distinguished Visiting Professor, sponsored by the Barbara & David Zalaznick Reading Series Fund.